The Baroque Era


The artwork above is called The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Tulp, painted in 1632 by Rembrandt van Rijn. Rembrandt was only 26 when he got asked to paint the portraits of the Amsterdam surgeons. Rembrandt was new to Amsterdam but quickly got commissioned to do this piece. Rembrandt was given the task to complete an oil painted portrait of Amsterdam's Surgeon's Guild, who at the time was Dr. Nicolaes Tulp, who was to deliver a yearly public lecture on some aspect of human anatomy. Every few years a painter is commissioned to produce an anatomy piece to commemorate one of these demonstrations. Back in this era     this was considered a social event where many would gather and watch with food and music. 

There was tons of expansion of scientific knowledge during the Baroque era. During this period we learned of the creation and utilization of the telescope by Galileo, Newton who discovered the idea of gravity and mathematical discoveries, and Sir Francis Bacon who initiated the start of the Scientific Revolution. Baroque artwork was very detailed, dramatic, filled with emotion, and gave viewers an intense visual experience. 

Rembrandt did not use much color for this painting. Reds and oranges were used for the corpse's arm but the rest of the painting was used with soft, pastel colors. The corpse is what really stood out to me in this painting. The attention to detail is amazing, the lines used to define the corpse's body. Looking at everyone's facial expression really captures what they are observing. I enjoy the use of shadows and light, this adds much intensity to the painting.  

I don't think I would own a piece like this in my home. Since the photo was used to capture a moment in time it holds a lot of meaning for the Baroque era. Nowadays observations are not done in public. It was very interesting to see this captured and made into a painting. I don't think there are many paintings like this one. Its very fascinating on how this was possible back then compared to how things are done today. 

 

Khan Academy. (n.d.). Rembrandt, The Anatomy Lesson of dr. Tulp (article). Khan Academy. Retrieved June 19, 2022, from https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/renaissance-reformation/baroque-art1/holland/a/rembrandt-the-anatomy-lesson-of-dr-tulp 


Rembrandt van Rijn the anatomy lesson of dr nicolaes tulp. Mauritshuis. (n.d.). Retrieved June 19, 2022, from https://www.mauritshuis.nl/en/our-collection/artworks/146-the-anatomy-lesson-of-dr-nicolaes-tulp/ 





Comments

  1. This piece is amazing but I wouldn't have it at my place either haha. I completely agree with you on the amount of detail was put into that corpse. That's crazy he was only 26 when he made this that's awesome and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting piece, Rembrandt really got the tones of the subjects! I agree with you, that I would rather not have the piece in my home but I do see it at a doctor's office. I am so glad that it is no longer a social event to watch a corpse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this painting to be wildly disturbing yet, it does show the process of scientific knowledge that was continuing to grow in the Baroque Era. I've never thought about being a painter having to stand in a room painting while a human is being dissected until reading this blog. I don't think I could do that! Great work, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Renaissance Blog

Art and Scientific Discovery in the 1700’s: Classical Era

Post-Modern Art Influence on Pop Culture and Societal Issues